“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday 17 June 2010

Home Sweet Columbia?

These past couple weeks have been a rollercoaster of emotions, but now, I have my very own apartment, a new home. in Columbia? Itstill feels like a dream, but here's my start to a new life...

We arrived Tuesday afternoon, filled out the paperwork, and walked into 500 Gills creek Parkway apartment #1313 Columbia, SC (feel free to write, or send cookies :), and to say the least, that apartment is nothing extraordinarily special, but I Absolutely LOVE it!


Why I love my apartment?
  • Despite the stark white walls, and rather unfortunate furniture, We've fixed it up with color and a little Texas lovin!
  • Location (discussed later)
  • Maintenance men--the world's best invention for all those do-it-yourself kits that you can't ever seem to do...
  • I'm directly between two Piggly Wigglys, If that doesn't scream excitement, I don't know what does
  • and mostly, It's my FIRST apartment of my own!
Location
My apartment is located a little further from campus, about 10 minutes, in a subdivision called Shandon. For every concerned parent out there, This choice is dedicated to YOU. This is one of the safest areas in town, with beautiful old Victorian homes, on the next couple streets over. My complex is gated, and behind that is a lot of forested area. It's well lit, has a pool and gym, and has serious security.Right around the corner is Target, Panera, Starbucks, Pier one, and Much Much more! The area is know for the arts, so there are a lot of cool studios I hope to check out soon!

This Week
This week has been a wonderful nightmare! My amazing parents have taken on a mission to get me really settled into my new house. They've driven me all around the city, buying desk, vacuum cleaners, and every other household item, that you NEVER think about until you don't have it. We've finished up almost everything, and the last item on the list is a desk chair, then I'm done.

Big Girl
Alright, I will admit, going to ACU I was spoiled. I'm have a week before I begin orientation, so in between now and then, I'll be buying books, finishing homework, and most importantly, tomorrow I buy my first Big Girl suit! On our first day of orientation, we have to wear a suit and smooze with a bunch of Big Wigs from several international corporations! I'm nervous, but can't wait.

Columbia Culture Shock
There have been three major culture shocks so far moving to SC, and I'm sure MORE to come.

First, Humidity is a KILLER, walking from target to my car, I felt as if I was swimming rather than walking. West Texas heat is not exactly my favorite thing, but I think I might actually prefer it. Good skin though, right?

Second, Traffic. 5:00 traffic in Abilene Texas looks like a morning joke compared to a state capitol city. During rush hour, I don't go out. For now anyways.

Finally, being the minority. Don't take this as racism, but rather this is part of my journey from small-town girl, to Big City Woman. My whole 22 years of life have been spent in private Christian Schools, in West Texas. Not exactly the cultural center of America. Today, I now live in a city, and towards a part of town, where I am definitely the minority. We talk and talk in school about minority issues, and I honestly thought it was a non-issue because I have NEVER been a minority. I finally understand. I'm going to post more about this soon, because it's been a weird experience.


My parents leave early Saturday morning, and I honestly don't know how I will do it! Feel free to schedule your vacation to Columbia, starting Saturday afternoon. I'll cook, clean, and take you to the beach :) What more could you need, right?

After I put everything away tomorrow, I'll post all my pics!! I miss everyone back home a lot, it's gonna be weird starting over in a new place. Prayers always appreciated

Love YOU ALL!
GameCock Jenny Dodd

No comments:

Post a Comment