“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Heart in Pieces

"The heart is forever inexperienced"
-Henry David Thoreau

They say that you heart loses little pieces every time you lose a friend, move somewhere new, break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, but I think I beg to differ. My ever inexperienced heart holds those loses as a treasure, maybe that's naiive, but maybe it's a blessing that I can.

I'm an optimist, so I believe that through each experience, we have the opportunity to give those pieces, that yes, maybe "we don't get back," but in return, you gain what I affectionately call "a heart in pieces." It's kinda like you're in a room with a bunch of windows, all closed and locked except for one. That's your window, you're view. With each new person you meet, and each new place you visit, you receive a key. One more window opens, and then all of the sudden, you're no longer just seeing black and white, you see red too. You didn't even know you needed red until you have it.

Right now, I have a piece in Texas, a Piece in South Carolina, some in France, and some in DC NY Nas and all the other cool places my friends and family are living right now. Even though I don't have all the same friends close to me, I have those colors in my life, those open windows.

My heart is in pieces right now, but I'm ok.

3 comments:

  1. Really nice one Jenny! And yes, I don't believe you lose a part of you either...you just maybe lose the person...but that's an experience too...for the inexperienced heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) agreed. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet. My heart is in pieces too (TX and Ny also!) but Skype helps the heartache a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete