“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Traded my Sorority Screams for French Kisses

Bonjour Mes Amis!
So, today as I was standing in our ecole, AKA school, and as I was watching the people around me and realized just how different the world is, where I'm now currently residing. I've traded my girly loud, American sorority greetings for quiet and polite kisses on the cheek.
Greek for Chic?
I think so. It's beautiful really, that fact that traditions are so different across the world, but now my adventure is learning how to fit in!

So one week and a half ago, I arrived in Clermont-Ferrand, France, but I feel like it's already been about 3 months! We were welcomed by an amazing party of Students from the school I am attending, Group ESC. It's a Ecole Superior du Commerce, which is like a university, except...more specialized.
The French Students and I playing " babyfoot"
This is the Place de Jaude, basically the center of town

Julia (one of the students from my program) and I were whisked away to the apartment of a Moroccan exchange student, also attending ESC! We were...crowded, we stayed 3 people in a small studio for the past week and a half. We've had many adventures in our small place, some good, some not, including a deflating air matress, and broken lightbulbs, but all-in-all, it's been a wonderful introduction to French Culture, thanks to our many new French Friends!
Meet Sarah
Our temporary Awesome French roomate is in the middle right!

One of our biggest struggles thus far on the Trip has been housing. There have been many delays, and struggles. I originally planned to stay with a host family, but this fell through pretty quickly, because of the timing of my arrival. So I changed to wanting an apartment; however, There is a new law just this year in France, that if you want an apartment, you have to have a guarantor in France, which...I don't have. We were hoping to be moved in by this past Monday...but delays happen, and we are still imposing on the hospitality of our new friends!

At least the food and cafe are good...

I drink cafe in cafe's nonstop...
This is why I'm actually here...


But the Best news came today! We found a new flat for 3 girls to live in, and if all goes according to plan (which would be a first for this trip :)) then we can move in tomorrow!!

Learning French is incredibly fun! Although, I'm completely horrible as of right now, I think i'm catching on fast! we've been working hard, and have much more to come!
At least maybe Ill look the part??

It's incredibly hard to describe the array of emotions I've experience in the past week. It almost feels that language, words, are not enough.

I have so much to write, and not enough time. Hopefully I will be in an apartment soon, with better internet access. Until then, I wish you the best! I'm about to have some GREAT French Adventures!

kiss kiss, Bonne Nuit,

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. tres chic!
    Sounds like a great adventure...would have loved to do this! Praying the housing works out REAL soon!

    ReplyDelete