“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday 24 January 2011

Life like an ankle

So my Girls weekend in Lyon post is coming tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'll fill you in on the more thoughtful moments of my trip.

So This weekend was accompanied by a lot of time for reflection, as we wandered through the many museums, and here's my thoughts...We all have many thorns in our road, some big some small, but to get past them, it takes perseverance, for example:

Life, is like an ankle. My ankle to be exact. I know this sounds strange, but let me explain.

in high school, I sprained my ankle several times, to the point where it was so weak it would just continually get worse, never better. Solution: put a brace on it!

Genius I know. So from this point on, I kept my ankle safe, always wearing my brace, building up a wall of security around it. This brace helped to retrain my muscles to do their job. It was completely supported, except anytime I took it outside it's protection, it failed, It had been so protected, that it could no longer stand on it's own. I realized this was not a good solution. I can't always protect it.

I decided I had to exercise it, test it outside of the brace. In the back of my mind, I was always fearful that it was going to be hurt again, that I would once again feel that agonizing pain. But overtime, it got stronger, tougher, able to stand strong against potential threats (like flag football fields and waterball games :))

I was reminded of my fear on these cobblestone streets here in Europe, but for the first time, I knew I could walk with confidence. Even though fear creeps back in occasionally, I'm resilient and strong. I walk tall.

So my life here in Europe and on my own is like an ankle. I've left my support and shelter that taught me the important things in life, and now I'm walking tall in a life unknown, with fear, but also with confidence that I have a good road ahead. I walk tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment